Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chromatic theology...

I have been knee-deep and swimming in color lately {the recent sprinkle of posts provides clear and undeniable evidence}. Float through this post as the chromatic theology series continues.
Each post in this series will explore an individual hue, but the characteristics of the topic color can be translated into tints and shades. Keep in mind that the effects and emotions we discuss are most prominent and intense in pure, saturated color. {In case you need to catch up on color - gather basic knowledge and catch a glimpse of red with the inaugural post.}
Basking in the warm glow of gentle yellow is a perfect way to continue frolicking through chromatic theology. To some extent, the distinctive attributes of yellow will be present in color variations - mustard, butter cream, saffron, sunflower, etc.
YELLOW is a strong warm color, with pleasant and optimistic emotional content. Yellow is the least problematic color, a cheerful and non-aggressive hue. This jovial hue is highly-reflective, producing expansive characteristics reminiscent of sunlight. Soft tints of yellow {butter cream and pastel pineapple} serve as great background colors - active with mild stimulation. Inviting yellow into your home is like ordering a glass of house wine, safe; you may not swoon for the taste it leaves in your mouth, but at least you won’t hate it either. Yellow is simple and amiable, and every now and then - unexpectedly brilliant.
Come back next week for a drop of refreshing citrus - orange.

{Photographs from the portfolio of Mel Yates.}

{This series is also running on EcoSalon!}

16 comments:

The Zhush said...

Lately, I find myself drawn more and more to yellow in both home decor and fashion! Looking forward to orange!

Color Collective said...

Yes! I'm with Zhush, definitely have been adding more yellow into the wardrobe and home. I am obsessed with all these images by the way--that bed and that dress, oh my!

chris said...

I love this series Leigha, great job.
The Viceroy hotel in Palm Springs uses a grey and white color scheme throughout with various accents in Citron and Canary yellow. The contrast is so rich and inviting.

dovecote Decor said...

I love learning why we emotionally connect with color. Thanks for the education. I'm following avidly! We just added you to our blog roll, so we don't miss a single one!

a Broad said...

I love that photo, that dress, that poster ! I love yellow..but my color is blue.. storm blue ! :)

GB said...

I never thought about it, but I think I'm falling in love with yellow all over again!....I'm very attracted to it these days! Love this post!

~Valentina~ said...

chromatic theology was one of my favorite classes in school. Love this series!

*The Beautiful Life* said...

THIS color makes my heart sing. Why couldn't warm yellow/mustard tones have been "my color"? ;)

I do love the "science" of color, though, and seeing what color suits our personality, etc...

These have been fun posts! I'll have to tune in next week when you talk about orange....

Have a great weekend, friend!! :)

Ruth

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Hi Leigha,

Just did a blog post referring to your Colorstrology post! :)

Loved it!!

Ruth

Splendid Willow said...

Leigha,

I would love to invite yellow and that Chaplin poster to my home! (I must go shopping at the wrong places). Impossible to be unhappy surrounded by yellow.

Happy weekend to you dear,

ox, Mon

Style Attic said...

This was THE one I couldn't wait for! I know orange is waay more popular than yellow, but I've always had a sunflowery soft spot in my heart for this color :) Your images are spectacular and just like you described yourself...simple, amiable and expectedly brilliant!!!

beauty comma said...

oh, yellow =) perfect! i've got this colour on my brain these days (clinging to summer, i guess)
thanks for commenting on beauty comma - have a lovely weekend!

Solid Frog said...

I love that yellow bed and the dress too :) Have a great week!

Krystal said...

I have curtains in my room this color and I LOVE them. it is very optimistic :)

Kelle Dame said...

How did I miss this post?! I love these yellows! That Chaplin poster is beyond awesome and that bed is killin me! How divine. Love your color schematic posts...keep em comin!

Poppies and Sunshine said...

I absolutely LOVE yellow! These pictures are gorgeous. I love how yellow is so happy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails